Newtown Township Parks and Recreation Department
Skip to nav
Dye-nomite Art Camp (ages 9+)
Students will enjoy a colorful explosion of creativity, inspired by various dyeing techniques and colorful art projects. Positive peer reviews and other projects may be offered, as time permits. Projects include:
- Glue-Resist Batik - Similar to the effects of hot wax, a safer method of glue is used to create resist patterns on fabric.
- Shibori Fabric Dyeing - Considered a manual tie-dyeing technique, students will explore how to make patterns on fabric using string.
- Reverse Dyeing - Turning negative into positive, this technique uses bleach.
- Tie Dye Coasters - Create tie dye coasters.
- Marbled Paper Printmaking - Try a fun way to create marbled paper for bookmarks and more.
- Dip Dyeing - Create ombre gradient strips and turn it into art.
- Natural Dyeing* - Experiment with everyday food items.
- Helioprinting - known as Prints du Solei, see how the sun can help create prints, inspired by Henri Matisse.
We will be dyeing and transferring onto paper and fabric. This is not a tie-dye camp, but if you wish to bring a cotton shirt (white or light color for shibori and/or dark for reverse dye) you are free to do so!
Instructor: Leigh Ferello